The definition of a game of skill is a game where the result is determined generally by mental and physical skill, rather than pure chance or luck. The appeal of these games lies in the reality that not only do players revel in the challenge as well as the wide selection of game choices/types, but the mention of checkers, dominoes, hangman and jigsaw puzzles brings on fond childhood memories. Most of us then graduated to rummy, backgammon, scrabble as well as the ultimate challenge-chess.
While skill games will never replace casino gambling online or off in popularity, it is a universal internet topic with a variety of sites offering free or tournament play. I classify 7 skill game types as follows: Card, Board, Dice, Tile, Word, Puzzle and Sports Games. As skill games is really an extensive topic and may not covered in a single article, I will present examples for every game type and offer a quick description and/or history for each.
1) Card Games: use a deck of cards as their central tool. Examples are Rummy, Bridge and Canasta. Rummy has many ‘cousins’ or versions. To name a few, there is the world famous, Gin Rummy along with Oklahoma Gin, Knock Rummy, Continental, 500 Rum or Pinochle, Kalookie and Pan or Panguingue.
2) Board Games: maintain turn-based play because one player’s move/strategy is followed by their opponents’ move/strategy. Players can only move at their turn. Examples are chess, checkers and backgammon.
The origins of such board games go back centuries. Chess became very popular that other games took second place through the middle ages. It’s not certain if chess was invented by one or more people, but warfare was actually a likely reason behind its development.
Checkers is considered to have originated inside the desert country of Egypt where it absolutely was referred to as Alquerque around 650 BC, though you will find caves from 1400 BC that depict Alquerque like images.
The game was played by philosophers and thinkers including Plato and Homer since it provided a tremendous mental challenge.
3) Dice Games: use a number of dice as his or her central tool. Board games often use dice to figure out a player’s standing in the game; however, dice alone generally don’t determine the result of the game with regards to other characteristics like strategy or skill. Examples are Sic Bo, Yahtzee and Poker Dice.
Poker Dice is probably the most well-known dice games, especially online. The dice display representations of playing cards as opposed to numbers. Each of the six sides represent Ace, King, Queen, Jack, Ten and Nine that are used to form a Poker hand. The object in the game is to make the best poker hand.
4) Domino/Tile Games: utilize a central tool of a set of tiles called dominoes which have two ends, each with a given number of dots or pips. Therefore, each combination has 2 possible values and each and every domino is exclusive in the set. Most domino/tile games are ‘card games with no cards’. Examples are Dominoes, Pai Gow and Mahjong.
Who invented the video game of Mahjong? In most likelihood, this video game was created by Confucious, who traveled in China in that era. He was fond of wild birds – perhaps that is why this game was christened as Mahjong, which denotes a sparrow. Some professionals state that the three cardinal virtues professed by Confucious had been symbolized via three dragon tiles – red, green, and white-colored.
5) Word Video games: so many word video games, so very little time. A brief listing of good examples is Scrabble, Hangman, Cryptograms, Jotto, Jumble, Acrophobia and Wheel of Fortune.
6) Challenge Games: challenge me these good examples-Sudoku, Crosswords, the oh yeah, so annoying–Rubik’s Cube along with a selection of way cool online puzzles–Bejeweled, Offer or No Offer, Chuggles and Jungle Bubble.
7) Sports activities Video games: merge physical and mental abilities. Good examples pbpuug Billiards and Darts.
Sports Games of soccer, rugby, baseball and soccer require ‘big time’ both mental and physical skills. Throughout this short trip down memory lane, I am just certain that you as well have discovered the appeal of ability video games. Now, what about a game title of rummy?